Sports News

Bournemouth’s Traore sidelined after contracting malaria

[ad_1]

Bournemouth’s Ivorian midfielder Hamed Traore will be out for an extended period after being hospitalized with malaria following last month’s international break, the Premier League club’s manager Andoni Iraola said on Friday.

The 23-year-old was not included in the Ivory Coast squad that will host next month’s Africa Cup of Nations and will have to undergo further medical examinations as he completes his recovery at home.

“The last few weeks have been a difficult situation for him personally and from a sporting point of view,” Iraola said. “We need to make sure he’s okay and recovers properly, he’ll be out for a while.”

Malaria is a curable disease whose symptoms appear within 10 to 15 days after the bite of an infected mosquito, according to the World Health Organization.

Traore joined Bournemouth permanently at the end of the season after arriving on loan from Serie A club Sassuolo in January. He played 10 league matches, the last at the start of November.

He has eight caps for Ivory Coast, including in the first round of World Cup qualifying last month.

[ad_2]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button